Labels


Sunday, October 3, 2010

The start of a new journey



I asked "Madhu, Will you marry me?". She said, "Yes, I will". 

Scene 1: It was the month of December. One fine day, I get a phone call from my parents. The time was on for the search of my life partner. An arranged marriage. They sent me the picture of a girl whom they thought would be a correct match for me. I opened my email, had a glance at the picture and thought "Well, interesting. Let me talk to her once." I spoke to my parents and asked them to let me know the time I can speak to her. 

Scene 2: A honorary function arranged in the honor of Shri Shivananda Murthy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadguru_Sivananda_Murty) at Warangal. My parents get the invitation from her parents. They felt it as the best time for me to speak to her. Then it happens, The first phone call. I don't remember the exact words what we spoke. But, it was more of a cordial talk for less than 5 minutes. We both agreed on to have a chat on webcam later with the permission of parents.

Scene 3: Webcam chat. Thanks to Yahoo we get to see each other first time apart from the pictures. Again a cordial talk  but this time for a longer time. I came to know about a few things more. The things which I liked instantly about her were she was a movie buff like me, respects her parents and gives importance to family values. There were a couple of things which I didn't like. 
The conclusion after my chat was I was interested in meeting this girl. But, I cannot take any decision before I meet her personally.

Then things come to a halt. I get busy with some other stuff and the proposal falls back in the priority lists.

After 8 months, in the month of August, I finally get a chance to visit India. http://deepak-preciousthoughts.blogspot.com/2010/08/itinerary-of-stopover-journey.html  

Scene 4: August 14: Her Home. The official Pelli Chupulu. 

This was the first day I saw her personally. "Live" in the media language. It was the Pelli Chupulu. The time when the girl and guy gets a chance to meet each other. We see each other, then we were allowed to spend some time talking to each other. I was hesitant to speak first. The conversation started with the memories of our first chat. It was almost 8 months since we had our last chat. But, it didn't seem to be. The conversation hit the right notes and it went on. The elders were expecting our talk to go for 15 minutes. But 15 minutes passed, 30 mins gone. If I remember right it was almost 45 minutes. We spoke about a lot of things. The things which I wasn't sure of after my chat, faded away in this 45 minute talk. 

Scene 5: My Home: 

I was still in a confusion. It was going to be the decision of my life and I didn't want to take it in a hurry. I asked my parents whether they were completely convinced with the girl and her family. They said they were more than happy to have her in the family. I was still searching for any negatives. The fact that I was searching for the negative itself meant that there were a lot of positives. 

Next day, it was my friend Sunil's Engagement in Hyderabad. I attended that and was still thinking about the decision which I had to make.

The day after, I call my parents and said that I need to talk to her again before I make any decision. They gave me her number. I called her and asked her out. I thought she wont agree but I was happy to hear that she also wanted to have a talk. We fix a time to meet and the place.

Scene 6: Shilparamam. Aug 16.

We met at her hostel. We started looking for some place to sit. Then we decided to go to Shilparamam. So, the location was set. I started talking. I spoke to her on all the things which I felt she should know about. Exchanged our views about things which we have in common, any differences we had. All this time I was searching for any things which I can think of as completely against to my views. Fortunately, the things I found were very trivial.

The time went by quickly, 2 hours and then I was completely convinced. She will be my choice. No more second thoughts about it. The final minutes of our conversation.

Me: After all this talk, I want to ask you an important question. My decision depends on your answer.
She (confused): What is that?
Me (With a red rose, kneeling down): Madhu, will you marry me?
She (after a pause): Yes!! I will.

Her name is Lalitha Madhuri and I call her Madhu. My life partner.

(Prelogue: Jump back to the time before scene 6: I was almost sure of  making Madhu as my partner. I felt I would be the first person to let her know rather than the usual way of her parents conveying the message. I want to make my decision day memorable. I wanted to propose her. So, before I go to meet her, I wanted to buy a red rose and then give her the rose and propose. Thanks to Pavan, who helped me in this whole episode.)

There I stand committed to Madhu. 

Then the Engagement happened on Aug 21, had to leave India and fly back on Aug 23. More about after Engagement stories later..

Adios.




6 comments:

Unknown said...

I felt I would be the first person to let her know rather than the usual way of her parents conveying the message. I want to make my decision day memorable

Cool !!!
Nice one Deepak.

shreyasit said...

nice..have fun :)

its raining in my heart…… said...

arey i thot u wud let us know something in ur talk....but u r too clever dude
u told us abt every time u talked to each other but did not really tell anything....hahaha thats fine i know its personallll :D

Sripal Sama said...

Wish you a very very happy married life bro and sis-in-law...

PALLS said...

wao... beautiful there is nothing more valuable to a girl than knowing hw spcl she is for d man in her life

it makes me remember the 'coincident' first long drive with my now husband then colleague. It rained heavily that day in the month of Sep vn in Delhi we get no rain. bryan adams playing in background.

these types of beautiful moments are created by God specially for you and deepak u shud thank him that u lived your one

Harris said...

My good Deepak... after having perused some of the splendid writings you have archived within the halls of your realm, I don't deplore having spent 30 minutes of my time delving into another individual's life story. You are quite the writer (and movie critic) with a touch of philosophy. I feel I understand your character a little better through your writings than how I did in person.

My best wishes for your upcoming married life and sincere thanks for your magnificient wedding invitation.